Saturday, 2 June 2012

I am so Happy you Exist.


Today you were born.
Four years ago.
You cried and we were surprised.
They took you away after a quick kiss from me.
They wheeled me back to my room. 
I knew where they took you. 
They were trying to help you breathe.
I knew I'd see you soon.
You were a few hours old my sweetheart,
I finally saw you 


detailed and close,
nurses hovering,
lights, tubes, beeps
seemingly endless.
You shouldn't have to be here.
"Let's go home, my dear," I whisper 
in your sweet ear.
"Get well, I know you will, then we can go home.
Home."
You looked so strange. 
So sick.


You needed love and warmth
and milk.

I touched your soft head
and wished 
so many things.
Things so unattainable.
And yet I tried to be grateful,
to our God,
our God of mercy and love.
The God who holds you now. 

Happy Birth Day my sweet sweet Emily.
Happy Existance day, I'm so glad you were born,
I'm so glad I got to see your face,
I'm so glad I got to hold you, twice, and feel your warmth.
I'm so glad I got to kiss you,
touch you,
and smell you.

You are in the best place a parent could ever desire,
and I love you.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday emily, you are well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through my tears I am smiling. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your birthday wishes Em, Kristin and Anon. We tied up some balloons above Emily's Juneberry tree planted in our garden. We had strawberry shortcake with candles. It was a hard day, of course, but I'm glad we celebrated the day like a regular birthday. It was very healing. ~Renee

    ReplyDelete