Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Emily's First Christmas

Dear Emily, Merry Christmas
Now the year comes to a close.
Your year. Or God's, I suppose.

Seven months have passed
Since you came and went,
A flash of light.
A small candle spent.

Eight days. 
Eleven hours.
And forty-six minutes.Every second...
God was in it.


I pulled out your blanket
on Christmas Day.
It's as close as I can get to holding you. 
It's ok. 
I'll take what I can get.

It would have been your first
But it was the first 
Without you.

There's always someone missing here.
And we're always missing there.

What was your first Christmas like?
Or is it Christmas and Easter everyday?
Did you get to be an angel in some divine Sunday School play?

One thing I can see, my little girl-
A baby who like your Jesus came-
Is your perfect heart with gratitude filled
The gift we give together on Christmas Day.

Rest my child, smile and coo.
It won't be long 'til we'll be joining you.

Love, your Daddy
(Written December 25, 2008)

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing from dads too. I'll make sure Mike has a chance to read this one. Beautiful poem Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching words Joel...:-}

    ReplyDelete