Wednesday, 25 November 2009

givingThanks

The last few posts have been updates on our four children. This time the update is about Joel and Renee. For some reason, it is more difficult to give updates on myself and my best friend. But for the sake of friendship with you and "keeping in touch", I will do my best.

If you haven't heard yet, God provided a deer for us the Saturday before last. Joel was in the stand for about two minutes and this small doe walks up and was looking in his general direction. He shot her straight in the heart (another blessing- minimal suffering and doesn't damage the meat). So now this deer is in our freezer, meat for the winter. But we were both kind of sad - having killed this animal, this mother deer. It seems that the circle of life is more like a circle of death. Someone or something has to die to keep someone else alive. "All creation groans..." (Romans ch. 8)
Even Jesus had to die, so that we could live eternally.

The November here has brought a longer Autumn, for which I am So thankful for. After a cold winter, a looong spring, and three days of summer, I was just about ready to pack things up and pray for God to move us to British Columbia. But it's been great, we've gone on a few walks (It's harder to get three kids AND myself out the door in time before someone has to eat or go potty or..). Just seeing the sun shining through my living room window is enough to brighten my mood.

Joel won a turkey yesterday. Yes, he did. A dead one, thankfully. Several places in town have a turkey drawing and Joel's name popped up in one of them. So now we have a turkey certificate and are automatically entered into another contest for all the fixings.

Joel continues to go to work each morning. Hallelujah! (pardon me, but sometimes I just have to belt something out) They are getting seamless rain gutter jobs all over town, and also have a few big projects for the winter. They are not overly busy- it's still a struggle to get at least 40 hours a week, but it's still full time and we are still able to pay the bills. So again we are thankful.

Renee continues to grow as a mother, to express her creativity through this blog, and to maintain her friendships.
I am involved in two different Bible Studies at the moment which I will share with you:

The first is a Beth Moore study entitled, Living Beyond Yourself. It is a study on the Fruits of the Spirit. It's actually my first Beth Moore study and I am finding it pretty good. Mrs. Moore takes you through different scripture as a foundation on Who the Spirit is and what His role is. Then at about week three she settles into Galatians 6 (where it talks about living by the Holy Spirit), and spends a whole chapter on the first fruit: Love. That's where I am right now.

The second Bible Study I am doing is a study on Grief. This specific study is for women and I haven't even finished the first chapter. But so far it's been really, really good. I've really connected with it. How can I tell? Well, I actually fill in all the blanks, look up all the scripture references, write notes in the side margins and complete the chaos with little pictures that help me remember my thoughts.

One of the evenings this week I started looking through my crochet books and pulled out a Christmas stocking pattern. A few days before, I was telling Joel about Madelynn needing a stocking, seeing as this will be her first Christmas. So this was another thing to be thankful for! I could make Madelynn a stocking in time for Christmas! I have really enjoyed sitting down and crocheting again. I think the last time I crocheted something was at least two years ago, just before the diagnoses of Emily's heart.

So all in all, Jesus is our All. He is our Provider through family, friends, strangers, acquaintances, His Spirit, and even our children. We are so thankful.

I know some who read this have already celebrated Thanksgiving (hello Canada!) we can all still be grateful together as we observe a day of gratefulness. God Bless you as you go about today, this day God has made.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished my first Beth Moore study - Esther: It's tough being a woman. I really enjoyed it! The one you're doings sounds really good too...I might have to look into that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some good Bible Studies. Glad you are able to connect! I love reading your thoughts/insights Renee!
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete