Monday, 9 May 2011

Herb Adventure Update

Some of you requested for our experience of the outcomes related to this post.

Here is an update thus far...

Out of the four tinctures that I made, Joel and I have only tried one of them. That one was the adult pain reliever made from St. John's Wort. I had a migraine two mornings in a row and each morning I took a few drops of the tincture. By lunchtime the migraine was gone and I could see clearly again. To me that was great, migraines are hard to get rid of! I also rested more, I stopped reading so early in the morning and I tried to have better posture and keep my head up to keep from straining my neck. All these things helped and I haven't had a migraine since.

Since that first post I've also made some salves: A muscle salve and a first-aid salve. Joel's used both only a little bit, so it's hard to tell. As far as the first-aid salve is concerned: I have this strange excitement for my kids to get 'owies' - maybe it's just because now I have something that won't sting, is actually good for them, and will help to heal (homeopathic, I think, is the term).

I'm also in the process of making glycerites right now. Glycerites are a non-alcoholic alternative to the tincture (which is made from vodka). In the crockpot right now are: a lobelia glycerite which I'm hoping to help with the asthma in our household; and also a mixture of herbs that can replace our daily multi-vitamin that all of us take. We shall see...

I'm also excited about a natural bug spray that is easily made by steeping a few different herbs in vinegar and then in garlic.

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the natural bug spray - won't you just end up smelling very garlic-y if you use it for bug spray? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so too Beth! I don't want to be smelling like garlic, but according to the number of comments after the "recipe", it seems to me that the smell isn't that bad. So we're giving it a shot.
    :) Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's good to know! :) I hope it works! It's probably something that could be useful over here too :)

    ReplyDelete