"Hey Renee! C'mere. You have to see this."
I stop in mid-stride and turn towards the bathroom. Joel had just finished giving Madelynn a bath and the other two kids were in bed already.
Madelynn is laying on her back on Joel's legs and she's crying. Joel points to her mouth and I look inside.
"Do you see that? What is that?"
I look closer at Madelynn's palate, the roof of her mouth. It's discolored, the color of green/gray playdough. I put my finger in her mouth to scrape it off and Madelynn just cries harder.
I feel a heaviness come over me and I groan inwardly.
Both Joel and I just look at each other.
"I'll go google it..." I lamely suggest and walk away.
I stare at the computer screen. The results of my googling didn't give much comfort: Cancer. Ulcers. Tumors. There should be no discoloration of a normal baby's palate.
I picture myself standing up in church asking for prayer for God to heal Madelynn. 'First Emily, then Rachel, now Madelynn?' This was too much.
I sit on the couch with the phone and thank God for a free 24 hour Nurse Help Line.
After a quick explanation to the nurse, we both agree that perhaps the discoloration is from the green veggies she ate today or the newspaper she was chewing on about an hour earlier.
I hang up, relieved.
A few minutes pass and an idea occurs to me. I find the newspaper Madelynn had been "playing" with and inspect it.
"Aha!" There was a small chunk missing! Joel and I agree to do a little "investigating".
"Q-tips," Joel suggests. I go grab them and bring them to Joel.
I leave the room as Joel forces Madelynn's mouth open but she just giggles. Finally she opens her mouth and Joel scrapes the palate with the Q-tip.
Then I hear laughter.
"What? Did you get something?" I ask.
Joel shows me something on his finger.
"It's a potato skin!"
Hillarious. You never know what children can surprise you with. God definately has a sense of humor.
ReplyDeleteWhat a relief! Praise God! It's moments like those that help me appreciate things I sometimes take for granted.
ReplyDeleteFirst I would like to thank you for not leaving us in suspense and putting in the title "Happy ending!" ;)
ReplyDeleteGoogle can be so great at times...and other times not so great! Glad it all turned out well. God's holding your hand saying, "Now my girl..." ;)
I so agree with Amy about the happy ending in the title. Wow! That is too funny though!
ReplyDeleteOh goodness!! That would've been concerning! I'm glad it was just a potato skin in the end. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLosing our second child and working around sick kids and their families left me with an "expectation of doom" that took me years to be rid of... Puddleglum Syndrome. I learned to stave off panic by realizing my apprehensions were emotional reflexes not prophetic premonitions... 99% of my fears were just fears. I was also aided by remembering in detail God's Grace even in the darkest valleys I went through with those families.
ReplyDeleteAlso... what's with feeding your kids green potatoes??!
ReplyDeleteBlessings...