Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Joshua's Fifth Birthday!

Joshua is now a five year old! To me (Renee) this is a major milestone. I can hardly believe our little boy is five! Wow!


I remember our first night home from the hospital with him. He was about 3-4 days old and oh, so little (7lbs 7oz at birth). Things went pretty smoothly the first day home. Until it was time for bed. I nursed him one last time and we swaddled him up nice and tight and he fell asleep. Aah. Now we could go to bed.

Just as Joel and I were falling asleep...

"WWAA-WAAHHH!!!"

You got it. Joshua starts crying. (haha, i laugh now, but boy, were we frustrated then!)

Joel gets up (what a great daddy) and goes to Joshua.
"I think he's still hungry, Renee."

"What?! I just fed him! He can't be hungry! Maybe he has a burp..."
20 minutes later... "Maybe his diaper is dirty..."
10 minutes later... "Maybe there's a hair wrapped around his big toe..."
25 minutes later... "Maybe..."

You get the idea. Joel ended up driving Joshua around in the car in hopes of settling him down and lulling him to sleep. It was 2:30 in the morning now and nothing had worked. Joel and I were both exhausted. Then I realized something:

"I wonder if he's hungry?"

Yup we had a lot to learn about babies. The hospital nursery now seems very deceptive to me. I mean, they brought Joshua into my room Once a night during our 3 night stay. So when we got home, shouldn't he continue to eat once in the night?

Well, I guess we did an all right job, thanks to the abundant grace of Jesus and to our family and friends. Joshua is five years old now and is happy and healthy and growing.

We had a small celebration at home with pancakes for supper (Joshua's choice) and vanilla cupcakes with green frosting.




He received a small present from Nana and Grampa (Joel's parents) and a card that belongs to his "birthday book". The birthday book is quite a neat idea. Since we live so far away from Nana and Grampa, Nana makes a little card for each grandchild each birthday. Also included are pictures of Nana with said grandchild during that specific birthday year. The kids love it. It has been fun watching the books grow every year. Below is pictured Joshua listening to Daddy read the note inside the #5 Birthday card.


After reading it, Joel slides the note and pictures into Joshua's birthday card. Listen to their cute conversation about the book Nana made...




Happy Birthday Joshua! We love you so much!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Joshua! We like to retell that story of Joshua's at times. We get a kick out of it. You have done well! Joshua is a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, 5!
    happy birthday, joshua!
    and happy birth day joel and renee!
    isn't it amazing - the boy that has grown from that little bundle you brought home and weren't sure what to do with?
    keep enjoying each moment with the sweet guy that God has entrusted to your care.

    hugs to you.
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete