Saturday, 29 December 2012

Gluten Free Flour Mix

I've tried a variety of GF flour mixes, but this has been my favorite so far, largely due to the fact that it's whole grain.

I stumbled upon this recipe and I shouted (in my heart) for joy! Finally a whole grain GF flour mix, that actually works!

Here it is. Are you ready?

70% whole grain flour (ie: brown rice, sorghum, almond, teff, oat, quinoa, etc)
30% starch (tapioca, corn starch, potato starch, etc)

That's it.

If you have a kitchen scale you would use 120 g for every "cup" of flour. To make 10 cups of mix, 360 g of starch, 840 g of whole grain.

I've also noticed with this recipe, that I no longer use any kind of excess binder. You know, like guar gum, xanthan gum, ground flax with hot water. The starch in the mix seems to take care of most binding needs. Except in cake. I always add a beaten egg or two to a cake recipe. Helps tremendously.

So that's what I use now. My own little gluten free girl loves it. And she's not getting all those useless starches. (Or as much as she used to).


2 comments:

  1. You should really try to buy Trim Healthy Mama by Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett if you can. Available through Above Rubies or Amazon. Not a gluten free book but TONS of gluten free ideas. We are having cauliflower crust pizza for New Year's Eve dinner. Love, Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to look through that book sometime, cauliflower eh? Thanks for sharing! ~R

    ReplyDelete