So what shall I start with first?
How about some Christmas tree shopping?
Our family likes to cut our own tree down. It's cheaper and, (I think) way more fun.
Since we are talking about Christmas I will go onto the next item of business:
In a previous post I mentioned making a nativity scene. It is coming along and I am enjoying it immensely. Here is the Stable:
In a previous post I mentioned making a nativity scene. It is coming along and I am enjoying it immensely. Here is the Stable:
And the first king:
Of course once Joshua and Rachel saw this, they wanted to play with it. So I made them a little "doll" for each of them. Joshua got to choose what colors he wanted, hence the blue hair and black arms:
Of Doctor Visits:
Today Madelynn had a doctor's visit. So for Grandparents' sake I thought I would mention everyone's height and weight:
Joshua: 35.2 pounds and 41 inches tall
Rachel: 29 pounds and 36.5 inches tall
Madelynn: 13.4 pounds and 24.5 inches long (tall?)
I want everyone to notice Rachel's weight. Now compare it to one year ago before her Celiac Disease diagnosis: 22 pounds. Yes. Rachel gained SEVEN pounds this past year. Amazing. I don't remember how tall she was last year, but she is now in the 38% instead of in the 10% on the growth charts. Hallelujah!
Madelynn is not gaining weight as much as she should but she did grow a whole inch over two months. She is not rolling but she is sitting with support. We shall see what the Lord has in store for our dear Madelynn...
Of Vicks and Feet
Joshua has had a cough lately. I think every parent knows about 2 am coughs and trying to be patient for that cough syrup or honey to kick in. Well, how about this?:
A friend from long ago emailed us a forward explaining this great benefit of Vicks. (You know, the petroleum jelly/vaseline with menthol and other essential oils?) Apparently if you rub a generous amount of Vicks on the bottom of your child's feet and place socks on, it will stop a cough in a matter of moments and will also prevent the child from coughing for hours and hours. I have to admit I was very skeptical. But Joel wanted to try it, so...
And you know what? It worked. Joshua did not cough at all the whole night. He did start coughing at the breakfast table, but Hey! 12 hours? no coughing? wow. So we tried it the next night on both Joshua and Rachel (Rachel had a stuffed up nose and was starting to come down with a cough also). Same thing, no coughing, and they slept great.
So pay attention Parents! Write that one down. Try it. And get some sleep!
Of Children Books

This book, The Little Blue Truck, has been a favorite ever since a friend gave it to the kids. The book has a fun rhyming rhythm and is about friendship. I highly recommend it.
So I believe that is all. I look forward to sharing with you more of the Nativity as it comes into being and our daily adventures here at home.
Thanks for the "chatty" post, Renee. How do you explain the bottom of the feet Vicks stopping a cough? That's a weird one - but, hey, if it works... I remember being Joshua's age and having a mustard plaster put on my chest to break up congestion. Don't know if it worked or not. But desparate, sleep-deprived parents will try anything. And whatever works for some extra sleep is welcome. Thank the Lord for the way He brings relief when we need it. "Weeping may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning," Psalm 30:5
ReplyDeleteDid you yell "timber" this year??? Oh, I miss our backyard "Christmas tree lot". Last year we found one and cut it down in the woods. But Bemidji is a little tougher to find a nearby spot...this year we went to the grocery store :( At least it was a locally grown tree and I looked for the spindliest tree....I wonder if they thought I was silly.
ReplyDeleteLove
Kelley
Steve: I think it is the essential oils within the Vicks that is supposed to stop the cough. That is what the email said, anyway. Thanks for the verse- it made me smile. :) -Renee
ReplyDeleteKelley: I like spindly trees too. No we didn't yell timber. That would've been fun- next year!
ReplyDelete-Renee