Ten years ago, there was a house. A little farm house out in the country, somewhere in Wisconsin. Though it looked normal, it was used as a church building for a small group of Christians. Ten years ago, a girl with a group of friends decided to go. The group traveled, arrived, and was welcomed despite the radical differences in age and culture.
The Holy Spirit was there, waiting. And the girl knew it.
As the service progressed, the atmosphere became charged with energy. And the girl became increasingly more uncomfortable.
You see, this girl was tied up in depression, suicide, insecurity, and selfishness. And she was tired of it.
That day became the day of salvation for her. In that little farmhouse, with that small group of Christians, Light shone into her dark yet desperate heart and the Light won.
Ten years ago, Memorial Day Sunday 1999, that girl, instead of taking her own life, she gave it to Jesus. Jesus took it, cleaned it, restored it, and is now glorifying Himself with it.
I forget, often, what Jesus did that day. And I am grateful that He reminds me where I have come from, where I have been.
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above;
Praise His Name- I'm fixed upon it- Name of God's redeeming love.
Hitherto Thy love has blest me; Thou hast bro't me to this place;
And I know Thy hand will bring me Safely home by Thy good grace.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, Wand'ring from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, Bo't me with His precious blood.
O to grace how great a debtor Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it; Seal it for Thy courts above.
Memorial Day Sunday 2009 I am sitting with my family. We are just finishing up an evening Bible Story, we have prayed together and now it is time for hugs and final 'good nights'. I can't quite remember how it all happened, but Joshua asked about the Holy Spirit. I explained the Trinity to him and how the Holy Spirit lives inside the people who want Him to.
Joshua expressed that he wanted the Holy Spirit to live inside him, too. Joel and I explained to him about making God the boss of his life and being sorry for the bad things Joshua has done. He seemed to understand and so I led him in a short prayer to ask the Holy Spirit into his heart.
What a joy that was to my heart! Joel and I aren't sure how much he understands, but all I know is, that as Joshua's mommy, I need to encourage Joshua and point him to the Truth. I leave the rest in God's hands.
The Holy Spirit was there, waiting. And the girl knew it.
As the service progressed, the atmosphere became charged with energy. And the girl became increasingly more uncomfortable.
You see, this girl was tied up in depression, suicide, insecurity, and selfishness. And she was tired of it.
That day became the day of salvation for her. In that little farmhouse, with that small group of Christians, Light shone into her dark yet desperate heart and the Light won.
Ten years ago, Memorial Day Sunday 1999, that girl, instead of taking her own life, she gave it to Jesus. Jesus took it, cleaned it, restored it, and is now glorifying Himself with it.
I forget, often, what Jesus did that day. And I am grateful that He reminds me where I have come from, where I have been.
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above;
Praise His Name- I'm fixed upon it- Name of God's redeeming love.
Hitherto Thy love has blest me; Thou hast bro't me to this place;
And I know Thy hand will bring me Safely home by Thy good grace.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, Wand'ring from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, Bo't me with His precious blood.
O to grace how great a debtor Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it; Seal it for Thy courts above.
Memorial Day Sunday 2009 I am sitting with my family. We are just finishing up an evening Bible Story, we have prayed together and now it is time for hugs and final 'good nights'. I can't quite remember how it all happened, but Joshua asked about the Holy Spirit. I explained the Trinity to him and how the Holy Spirit lives inside the people who want Him to.
Joshua expressed that he wanted the Holy Spirit to live inside him, too. Joel and I explained to him about making God the boss of his life and being sorry for the bad things Joshua has done. He seemed to understand and so I led him in a short prayer to ask the Holy Spirit into his heart.
What a joy that was to my heart! Joel and I aren't sure how much he understands, but all I know is, that as Joshua's mommy, I need to encourage Joshua and point him to the Truth. I leave the rest in God's hands.
whoo hooo!!!! Praise the Lord! He is so good to have lead you to Him and now he is leading your young to Him also! You are doing amazing things for the Lord and God is going to use your children in amazing ways also! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post Renee! Thanks for sharing how the Lord has transformed your life... and how He's transforming Joshua's too. :)
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Sweet, sweet Joshua! I love you little guy! What a great post Renee! I love your openness. Missing you all!
ReplyDeleteyou brought tears to my eyes! I think I met you sometime in 2000, and you had already become a beautiful creature of God! I remember you vividly! How wonderful to get to lead your kids to Christ as well! My son did it this year too, at age 4. He was very heartfelt, so I will always remember that as his "date". But it won't stop me from letting him pray again at 5 or 6 or 7 or 10! Keep up the great work, Mommy!
ReplyDelete