Tuesday, 3 June 2008

Pictures of Emily Grace


Emily is in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in the Children's Hospital next to Abbott. She is stable. She does some breathing on her own but needs a ventilator. She has a tube down her throat for that. A tube through her nose goes into her stomach to pull gastric juices out. She has a catheter in uretha for urine. Another tube goes through her umbilical cord into her heart and takes
measurements, administers the water and nutrients she needs, and gives her medication to keep valves in her heart open, another to strengthen the beat of her heart and there are others that I don't remember. In a day or two they will possibly take her off the prostogladin which keeps her bypass open. They will moniter her breathing and oxygen saturation to see how she does on her own. At that time they will also be prepared to do open heart surgery if the numbers aren't good. Please pray she won't need surgery!

Otherwise she is doing good. We enjoyed the times we had to touch her today. She hardly opened her eyes so we got in real close when she did. Her eyes aren't as puffy as in that first picture. She's got beautiful skin. And her mouth is only distorted in the pictures because of the tubes. She cries, but it is silent because of all the tubes in her throat. That's heart-wrenching.

Joshua and Rachel and Papa (Renee's dad) came this afternoon. I think Joshua 'gets' it, he was pretty quiet around Emily. Rachel was more interested in Emily's fuzzy pink blanket like her own. Joshua got to push Mama in the wheel-chair. Later just Papa and Neena came to visit Emily with us. They are here now helping us figure out a plan. James had to return to Indiana tomorrow. Renee gets discharged tomorrow. But... the Carpenters have asked us to stay there with them. They are wonderful and totally giving like Jesus.

Renee (who I forgot to mention before was absolutely beautiful through the whole thing) is doing very well. She looks very good and should be in street clothes tomorrow.

Enjoy the pictures!





















8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great pictures of our fourth grandchild! She certainly looks healthy and in good form. PTL that Emily Grace has and is striving to lay hold of the grace of God for this life.

    And so good to see the rest of you too. We really appreciate James putting photos on yesterday.

    Such adorable children - all three!
    God is good.

    We pray for your recovery, Renee, and rest for both of you. For Joshua and Rachel who can't really understand. And for your need to be together as a family, earning an income, returning to normal, and so on.

    Love,
    Dad and Mom
    Grandpa & Nana in Nanton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you guys! What a miracle! She is absolutly adorable and perfect. I have tears in my eyes at this amazing answer to prayer for you. May God give you the grace and strength to walk through these next few days and weeks. We're praying for you.

    Love Liz and Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! She is perfect and beautiful. God is amazing. We are still continually praying for you and Emily! We love you!

    JoAnne, Shane and Kaleb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joel and Renee,
    You don't know me, but your grandfather has been keeping me updated on your baby. I have been praying for her and you. I didn't really check the blog til yesterday. God must have brought you to mind because it had been awhile since I had asked Pike about you.
    Your story is so familiar to me. Our third child was born with critical aortic valve stenosis and a left ventricle that was too big and didn't work well (hypoplastic left heart syndrome). I know how hard it is to be away from your baby and what that "silent cry" is like. All the uncertainties and the prayers that surgeries won't need to happen are all too real to me. Natalie has had one of three surgeries (your Emily may be a candidate for the same), spent 3-1/2 months in the hospital (unusual), but is now growing and doing most things babies do. I'd just like to encourage you that this time in the hospital is only for a season. Yes, having a "heart baby" is a life-long thing, but there are so many blessings too.
    If you feel alone in this stuggle or have questions, your grandpa has my number. I'd love to talk to you. I remember wishing that I had someone to talk with that had experienced the same thing, but was farther down the road.
    May you experience the "Goodness" of our God and the Grace that our children are named for!
    Angie Hand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee and Joel,
    Emily Grace is beautiful...There are many praying...lifting you all up.
    Hebrews 4:16 lET US THEN APPROACH THE THRONE OF GRACE WITH CONFIDENCE SO THAT WE MAY RECEIVE MERCY AND FIND GRACE TO HELP US IN OUR TIME OF NEED.
    Our God is faithful and compassionate. As you go thru this time...know HE is right beside you guiding you...teaching you.
    I want to let you know that my schedule is random and can be changed...I would love to help in anyway. If you need help with the kids...we have a toy room set up.
    His Word is so healing...so comforting...I am so thankful you are leaning on Him and His promises.
    Lamentations 3:21-23 This I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD'S great love we are consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is His faithfulness.
    Love, Deb Maxa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a miracle and blessing Emily Grace is! Thanks for posting pictures. She is absoluting beautiful. We too are praying for the outcome of things being done at the hospital. So it sounds like they would do surgury right away if Emily doesn't respond "correctly" on her own?

    God is being glorified through this situation! Praise to our Holy Father who too knows the pain of watching a child suffer.

    love you guys,
    the Lindstroms

    "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everylasting rock." Is. 26:3-4

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are praying for all of you.
    May God give you extra blessings and strength today. From your Erskine Church friends.
    -Laurie Rachar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!

    Praise God for that first cry, and the many that will follow!!

    I'll keep praying for beautiful Emily Grace’s full recovery and that you will all have the strength to go thought these days!

    Loads of blessings on all of you!

    Love,
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete