Friday, 27 June 2008

The Beginning of the Afterword

Joel - This is long, but check out Renee's from June 25th.

“For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love for he does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men.” Lamentations 3:31-33
When we left the Children’s Hospital for the last time, the day of Emily’s death, the sky was turning black and fierce. Lightning ripped through the night as we sped down the freeway in the rain. The thought came to me: “God is angry.” He was angry at all the evil, sickness and death that plague this world - and killed our daughter.
I know the weather is not a good indication of God’s mood, but the storm served to teach me something valuable. The lines between darkness and light, good and evil became a little more distinct for me that night, and I knew I wanted to be completely in the light. It was evil and darkness that killed Emily Grace. A defect. Something less than perfect. God is life. Death came about because of sin. He hates death and will defeat it totally in the end. But even now, while He is angry at evil and death, He is also still in control. He allowed Emily to die, because he has a greater good in store. He is taking the attempts made by the powers of darkness to tear us away from him, and turning it all to eternal good. He grieves with us and walks with us to that light on the other side.
“If God hates evil so fiercely why doesn’t he do something about it?” the world asks. He did. Into a world boiling with hatred between men and hatred toward God, God himself stepped in to exact justice. But instead of condemning all of us Jesus said, “Let your punishment wound me, let your death penalty crucify me instead.” All the fury of evil is turned on him, with the pained permission of the Father, and he dies in our place. For all of us. Anybody who for a moment has rebelled against a perfect God by not honoring him above all else.
And on the other side of the cross we find LIFE, LIGHT – the strands of evil and darkness lose their grip on Jesus. And their power is broken over us who surrender ourselves completely to his authority and love. We walk in new life. We are not bound by darkness. Our bodies may die as we carry on in this world that still has death because people still reject Jesus. But after physical death we will live in light. You can’t stay dead in the presence of Jesus. And you can’t live in the presence of God without Jesus.
Back to Emily. We miss her like crazy. It feels like loneliness, or being terribly homesick. It’s hard to be home without her, returning to the activities that were normal before. There’s always someone missing from our family. It’s hard to not have seen her whole face or been able to hold her close until after her spirit had left her. What would I give to smell her sweet head again? Or to let her little hand wrap around my fingers? Would I put her back on the ventilator? Put the IV’s and catheters back in? No, I wouldn’t. She’s been spared a lot of pain. It helps to see her in heaven in our minds. She’s not the same as the pictures. She’s free now. No more IV’s and catheters. Thank-you God for your overwhelming grace.
The funeral two Sunday’s ago was awesome. Over 100 people came. We laughed and cried and saw pictures of Emily and worshiped God. My (Joel’s) Mom and I led the songs. We all gave it our all and God ran with it. I think he was glorified and that Emily couldn’t stop smiling. We realized she is a prophet, calling us to repentance and consecration. Pray that we can live out the example we gave at the funeral, in our everyday lives.
God gave Renee the grace to go visit a friend and her week-old son today (June 20th, when I originally wrote this)
We are doing well, but are not so strong as to forget for very long our desperate need for Jesus’ life in us. We grieve when the grieving comes, but don’t go looking for it. Well, OK, sometimes I like to go smell the hat she wore in the hospital.
We’ve got some incredible friends here. They’ve cared for our emotions, our physical needs and our souls. The broader community, church, extended family, blog readers and even people we’ve never met or known about continue to show support.
So – thank-you – we are blessed to the point that we’re not sure how to respond.
Grace, Joel.
PS – A ‘For Sale’ sign went up on the place we are renting today. We need prayer for wisdom on what to do next. God’s arranged everything thus far, but we just need to know when we are following him or not. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing to share what's on your hearts Joel and Renee. Continuing in prayer for you. Love you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts encourage and challenge me Renee & Joel... continuing to pray for you and my thoughts are with you- I really miss you guys
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joel and Renee,
    I've been blessed by Emily Grace.
    I've been in the Grace that Jesus provides when He choses to bring a precious one home. Both when Mike left and when Emily left. When Jesus brought Mike home, Jesus showed Mike the plans He had for his family, how his death was going to bring (spiritual) life to so many (John 12:24). God showed me that Mike was relieved and amazed at how God used his life and death I believe the same is true for precious Emily. Although her death was not His first choice for her (He is all about life), He will bring life even from her death. I've seen and experienced the fruit of Emily's life in ways that are too numerous to list here. When I was praying with your folks (J&D) I saw a drop in a pond with the ripples spreading as far as I could see. Not to say that Emily's life was just a drop in a pond, but the ripple effect is beyond what we even know. So at this time when you are missing your sweet little angel girl, I wanted to let you know how God has shown me HIM through it and blessed me with Emily's life. Can't wait to see and hear about all the other ripples!!!!
    Love you in Christ,
    Julie Newell

    ReplyDelete