Thursday, 9 May 2013

Thoughts on Homeschooling: End of Year 3

yes, we are still here. The sun is out and I think it might hit 50 degrees today. The small lakes are still frozen, much to the dismay of our local fishermen I imagine. Four inches down, the ground is frozen solid. The grass is green though. That is encouraging.

Rachel and Madelynn are on summer break and we are working on finishing up second grade for Josh. Only a couple more weeks!  I've also spent some time reorganizing and planning for next year. I'll have a kindergartener, a first grader and a third grader. Yikes! But God is good and I am trusting Him to work it all out. He has been so gracious with me as I've switched math curriculums in the middle of the school year and changed my mind on a few other things. I'm learning simplicity is best. Though I tend to forget that. I have a tendency to overdo things and buy/plan too many things. You can imagine the results- a fried mother and some tired kids.
But I'm loving the new math curriculum, reading out loud to the kids from "living" books, and saying 'no' to the homeschool marketing industry. I've learned to take advantage of used curriculum, let my unrealistic expectations simmer down, and enjoy my children: answering their questions and giving them opportunities to ask more. It's taken me awhile to get here and I still have lots of growing left to do. But homeschooling is an adventure and you can't plan out every detail of an adventure now can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment