Monday, 30 March 2009

Signs of Spring

The last few days I've been racking my brain of all the possible signs of spring. Here's my list:

Sunshine
Melting snow
Temps above zero, ok, ok, above freezing
Mud
The snow on the ground is no longer white, but a dirty brown and black
The roads are full of sand and pebbles
Robins
When you go outside you can hear birds chirping
Winter Storm Warnings
Wind
Branches in the yard
An occasional walk, and it's actually pleasant
It takes a full five minutes LESS to bundle the kids to go outside.
You actually WANT to go outside
Flooding
Lake Superior finally ices over
You finally find that lost toy outside you forgot to put away last fall
Street cleaners
Green grass
Squirrels
the sound of a lawn mower
Houseplants start to grow like crazy
It's only 7:00 pm and it's still light out
Kids wake up earlier
Daffodils, tulips and crocuses
Rain
Lots of rain
Hail
Snow
Sleet
Freezing Rain
You find yourself smiling more often
When you go outside, you have the sudden, irresistible urge to breathe deeply and smell the fresh air
Garden seeds for sale at the grocery store
Easter
Fiddleheads
Spring cleaning
Hobbies change from quilting and knitting to planning your garden and buying a spade
The local hardware store-instead of snowshovels and salt, there's rakes and pallets of manure
When I look out my window that faces a busy street, I see less snowmobiles on trailors and more canoes on top of cars.
My son keeps asking about when are we going to plant seeds??
Marsh marigolds
Buds on the trees


Well, that's all I could come up with. Did I forget anything??

7 comments:

  1. Puddles! Of course, how could I forget puddles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that list. It makes me smile! I am assuming you haven't seen or heard all of those yet, just the beginnings signs spur on the rest of those happy thoughts...or have you?!

    Can you believe it was a year ago this weekend that we moved away :( MIssing you and the northshore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one about smiling more often made me laugh! So true. I loved your list.

    I'll add turning down the heat, opening windows to air out the house, and sleeping with less blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee,
    This is why we love Minnesota...it's not the winter but the coming to life of so many of God's creation...even His human creations. Another sign of spring is there are people outside...biking, running, walking, talking, laughing...coming to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that antsy feeling . . . of wanting spring to come more quickly . . .

    after all, it is still march. this winter-stuff could last a while yet . . .

    i'm longing for the sun - to come out, be warm, and stay out.

    your list made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. signs of spring in grand marais... the snow is wetter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to add pussywillow. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete