Hello! I (Renee) wanted to keep our faithful blogging friends updated on what's going on around here. First off, if you haven't received our May/June newsletter please let us know! If you are not receiving them you can sign up for them by clicking on the tab that says Newsletter Sign Up at the top of this blog.
Secondly, I want to thank each of you for your prayers and support. Each day, I can feel people praying for us and it really makes a difference as we serve here and are an example of Christ to those around us.
For the months of June and July, I (Renee) have been in the accounting office three mornings a week due to the current accounting assistant gone to Guatemala for one month. It's been enjoyable to serve the base in this way. I love to organize, do data entry, and pay bills! I'm also trying to bike, practice the djembe and continuing the on going adventure of learning Spanish. I'm also reading more- the Bible, poetry (I'm reading Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Emerson right now), "On Becoming Preteen Wise" by Gary Ezzo, "The Devil's Door" by John Bevere, "Kisses From Katie" by Katie Davis, "Lies Women Believe" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, "A Path Through Suffering" by Elisabeth Elliot and I'm going through a grief devotional called "Through a Season of Grief" by GriefShare. Way too many books started. But I did finish one the other week!
Joel is continuing to knock things off of his "to-do" list for maintaining and making this place better. I believe he enjoys it over all, but ultimately we are praying about how he can be more involved in a discipleship role this fall.
I will be homeschooling again this fall, though not all the kids. We are trusting God in our next step in parenting and sending Rachel to public school in the fall. This has been a hard decision, but we think overall it will be good for everyone. Meanwhile, I am filling out paperwork for Rachel's admission/registration and also preparing for homeschool- organizing current curriculum, making a schedule and purchasing needed books.
Going back to our current situation: Both Joel and I are helping out every other weekend with Mission Adventures (youth groups from various areas coming for a weekend to receive training and then leaving on a short outreach). So that involves helping out in the kitchen, leading worship, teaching, leading devotionals, and helping out in the snack bar. There is a team of us who pitch in each weekend to do all of this, but I am grateful it's only every other weekend and not Every weekend. (smile)
It's fun to meet the youth groups and their leaders. Though they are only here for 2-3 days of training, it's also encouraging to hear about their time on outreach when they return. We hear how God works through them to reach other people who don't know Jesus. We hear how God encourages, strengthens, renews, forgives, fills, heals, and most of all, loves through and in these kids and their leaders. It is so great!
Recently our SOMD (School of Ministry Development) and BSD (Biblical Studies for Discipleship) students received their commissioning/graduation ceremony on June 26. Now those students have left for home or for outreach. It's always hard to say good bye...
Now that the two schools mentioned are completed, many staff are now taking their summer vacations and we will as well. I am excited to say that we are planning on coming to Grand Marais at the end of July! Our dates are July 24-27 or 28.
An update on the kids::
The kids are doing great. They miss their friends in Grand Marais, they miss the students who have been their friends but have now left, but overall they are doing well. Hudson is a pro at the tricycle, they are all learning to swim, they love to sleep in the tent that we pitched in the backyard. We regularly go to the library for books (of course) and fun events that are held there. Summer is great to be outside and run around and that is what they are doing. We've managed to go on a few hikes around the area, but would love to do more. And they are growing! Madelynn is five now and is a giggly, wiggly little stinker, but shooting up taller than I realized. Joshua is no longer a child, but getting to be a mature nine year old who loves to think, read and figure things out. He's more confident on the bicycle and his blood sugar numbers have been great now that he's out exercising every day. Hudson is growing up too, best friends and best enemies with Madelynn, but still gives me a cuddle every now and then. He tells me randomly that he loves me and does his best to keep up with the other kids. Rachel is turning into a sweet girl who loves people and loves to draw, create and imagine. All the kids make friends easily and aren't nearly as shy as they used to be. All the staff love them and they are truly a blessing to everyone around the base.
Well that's all I can think of at the moment. My kids are bored and needing some Mommy time now! Blessings to each of you as you go about the day! Happy Summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment