I was going to title this post, Homeschooling Adventure. But then, I thought, that's not quite right. It's not just homeschooling, but education as a whole that is the adventure. But then, I guess life in itself is an adventure, so maybe I should change it and call it "Our Life's Adventure Currently", but maybe that's a little too broad. I will be more specific in what I am going to ramble on about so therefore I will not change the title. yes. so there.
Whew, you still with me?
All right, here we go.
So, we enrolled Joshua in Preschool of September of 2009 and disenrolled him in the beginning of February 2010. Why? I will put it bluntly, for I operate better that way: The preschool class was participating in "exercise" in what is commonly known as yoga. Sadly, we were unable to come to any sort of compromise with the teacher, and thus we had to pull Joshua out of his much enjoyed class. In so doing, my (Renee) heart began to blossom and yearn to teach Joshua and Rachel here at home. To homeschool would be the familiar term. My motivation to homeschool was not out of rebellion towards the local school district or a reaction to what happened in February. I believe God used the "yoga" trial in our lives as an eye opener to His will- to homeschool.
And thus, a new chapter in our Education Adventure.
I would never homeschool if I did not have a firm conviction from God. It is overwhelming. It challenges my every organizational skill, my emotional health, my patience level, and my mental well being. And I am just beginning. At a preschool level. 30-45 minutes a day.
So if you've been following this blog, prepare to read about homeschooling and such. For this is what is on my mind and heart right now.
I am thankful to God for giving Joel and I a heart to homeschool. I am thankful for the resources out there. I am thankful for friends who know more about this than I do.
I am also thankful for the upcoming MACHE conference. (pronounced: like paper mache) (Minnesota's Association of Christian Home Educators) It is in April in Rochester, MN. Joel and I are planning on going for a few days, leaving our kids with various friends. This conference is loaded with info, curriculum fairs, free stuff, and workshops. I believe this will be extremely helpful.
I am thankful to a God who knows everything. He knows my heart and my personality. He knows what is best for our kids and their learning styles. After looking at a few different curriculums, I by far feel the most peace about Sonlight Curriculum. I believe this is what we, as a family, will use once Joshua is ready to start Kindergarten.
At present we are using Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven. For which I have been very pleased with.
So that is what is on my heart at the moment. :)
I am glad that you are both at peace about homeschooling. That is a really good thing :)
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who has used Sonlight since the beginning (oldest is in gr 4 this year) and she loves it. I myself haven't tried it, but have heard from all those who try it, like it and stick with it.
If you ever need to talk I'm available.
Hope you enjoy your new adventure :)