Saturday, 14 February 2009

You have GOT to be kidding me!!

So I was on the Internet looking at Celiac Disease and Gluten Free Info (what else is new?) and I came across a thread on glutenfree.com titled 'Cross Contamination'. I haven't done much research on this aspect yet. Here's what I found:


Help with kitchen cross-contamination::

Replace the toaster/toaster oven if possible. If not, clean it out thoroughly and use foil under your food. If that's too scary, use your regular oven to toast and grill and use foil.

Replace all cutting boards - wooden and plastic. Do not share the GF boards with gluten food prep.

Replace wooden spoons and teflon/vinyl cooking utensils. Do not share these new utensils with gluten food prep.

Replace porous pots/pans/skillets. Teflon and cast iron are porous enough to retain gluten from past cooking. Do not share non-stick or iron pans with gluten foods.

This from another forum: never wash gluten and gf dishes in the same dish water. I wonder about the dishwasher?

Sponges harbor and spread gluten.

Shared dish towels might be an issue - do not share towels; and rotate all kitchen towels into the laundry after meals and clean-up.

Clean out all drawers - crumbs are insidious.

Counters, surfaces, handles can all have gluten residue - I go through this difficulty when my son comes home from college. After eating a greasy gluten pizza he may spread his glutenized fingerprints all over the kitchen. I have gotten contaminated from his "invisible gluten".

Do not share jarred condiments (butter, margarine, mayo, peanut butter, jam, etc.) with gluten eaters. Keep a separate set GF.

Health food store brand bagged bulk items may be cross contaminated (better to purchase a sealed package from the GF company). I have watched HFS employees use the same scoop for all their bagging; not to mention, seeing one guy sneeze into his hands then proceed with his bagging...!

HFS and grocery store bulk bins - a nightmare of cross contamination.

School, work desks, counters, tables...gluten residue can lurk everywhere. Frequent hand washing helps.

Other hidden gluten issues to look at:

can openers
colanders
pets (pet food can contain gluten)
stamps, envelope adhesive, school paste, glue
carbonless paper/checks often contain wheat starch
lipsticks
toothpaste
breath mints, antacids, etc.
vitamins and medicines
lotions/sunscreens/soaps

Sharing finger or snack food with gluten eaters - or sharing party dips, cheese, salsas...can be big trouble.

Grills and charcoal can be a source for contamination.


What is a mother to do????

I don't know if you know this, but Celiac Disease is STRICT. And I mean STRICT. Gluten Intolerance is the same world as Celiac, but Celiac is like another continent. So this Cross Contamination thing...I can't ignore this. The smallest molecule of gluten can harm Rachel and prevent healing. This is one of the biggest reasons I am pushing for my household to go 100% Gluten Free, not just Rachel to be GF.


How about something positive? :) I read this in an email I received recently:

"Gluten absorbed through the skin will not affect the gut as it passes directly into the bloodstream. So you are exactly right, unless you have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, you should not have a problem with the ingredients in lotions and skin creams. That does not include products that might get into the mouth such as lipsticks and lip glosses."

I almost jumped out of my chair about this one! OF COURSE, Celiac Disease is about the small intestines...not the skin. Rachel does not have any problems with her skin, it's JUST HER GUT. Can I get a HALLELUJAH??? HMMmmm.

2 comments:

  1. HALLELUJAH!!! (umm...did I spell it right?!)

    Stickers for Rachel!! (Ok, there's probably a few more things, but I'm excited about the stickers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I just wrote a long comment and it didn't get through. Anyway, Hi! My name is Deanna, and I am an old friend of Patty's. I am not even going to try to duplicate what I just wrote, but let me just say that if you need encouragement, recipes, tips, etc. . .please give me a call. You can get my number from patty. My whole household has been gluten free for a year now, and I love the opportunity to encourage others in it. It's a tough learning curve, and you may feel overwhelmed frequently. As if a home business, homeschooling, ministry, and 7 people in a 2-bedroom apartment isn't enough, adding an extreme sensitivity to gluten, also cane sugar, artificial sugar, and casein (the milk protein) kind of puts us over the top at times. But I have to tell you, God is faithful. I know, it's almost cliche' but seriously, when you think you might go nuts, or want to quit, or just feel stuck--ask Him. I had to learn the hard way that the Lord didn't just say, "Ok, here's your diagnosis, now GO!" and just sit back and watch. Rather, he had to jerk my reigns numerous times and remind me that I am not to lean on my own understanding (tempting for a born researcher with keyboard and DSL) but in ALL MY WAYS acknowledge Him--and HE would direct my path. So many times, when I couldn't figure out how to afford it, or how to make bread with some fiber content, or where to get ingredients cheaply, or . . .I learned to ask.

    And He Answered. He laid out the path before me, and lo and behold, there He was walking it with me!

    It looks like you have the help and support of friends and your family--that's awesome. I am happy to throw my hat in the ring too. But may I just encourage you to make the Lord your number one support and source? His knowledge and understanding are truly endless!

    May God bless you and your family as you walk down this adventurous road. May you see his glory and wisdom in new ways every day!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete